This delicious and admired Parsi dish can be made through chicken or lamb. You can still omit the meat overall and go vegetarian. Chicken dhansak is usually served with Brown Rice & Kachumbar salad. While it appears like a lot of items at first glance, the majority of them are for the Dhansak masala powder. To create and store some for afterward just double or triple the numbers from the recipe beneath, prepare and store in an strong container.
Total time: 2 hours
Preparation time: 20 mins.
Cooking time: 1 hour 40 mins.
Ingredients of chicken dhansak:
- 800g Diced Chicken, breast or dark meat as you prefer
- 2 Small white onions finely chopped
- 2 Teaspoons Turmeric Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Garlic Puree
- 1 Teaspoon Chilli Powder
- 50ml Natural Yogurt
- 1 Teaspoon whole Fennel Seeds
- 200ml Pureed Onion
- Generally chopped clean coriander leaves to decorate
- 1 Cup/300ml Water or Chicken Stock
- 2 Teaspoons Ginger Puree
- 200g Butter Ghee
- 4 Teaspoons Mild Curry Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Garam Masala Powder
- 200ml Pineapple fruit juice & 100ml Mango Chutney
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Puree
- 400ml Pureed Lentils
Cooking method of chicken dhansak:
- Slash chicken breasts in two and break the legs at the joint.
- Through the salt pound the ginger and garlic to a flesh.
- In a grinder combine together the cumin seeds, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, cardamoms, cinnamon stick, peppercorns, bay leaves, dried chillies, fenugreek seeds and the mustard seed. Mix in 5-6 tbsp water to make a pest, add the garlic and ginger mash mix well and affix to the chicken, making certain that the meat is well covered. Keep cold overnight.
- In a large saucepan melt the ghee over standard heat and stir fry the chicken with any juices for about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the water, carry to the boil and simmer covered for 18-20 minutes. Remove the heat.
- Mix up the split peas and lentils jointly and wash them till the water runs apparent. Drain them.
- Heat up the oil in another saucepan and fry the onions till golden.
- Put in the turmeric and garam masala, cook for 45 sec. to 1 min, add the lentils and cook over low warm for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the water & salt bring to the cook, reduce the warm and cook for 25-30 minutes.
- Mash the dhal to build a smooth slack mixture and add this to the saucepan with the chicken inches.
- Carry to the boil, decrease the heat and cook for 25-30 mins, stirring to make certain that it does not join or burn.
- Close the tamarind in a little warm water and add this to the saucepan cook for 4 minutes.
- Serve up with boiled rice and a excellent chutney.
Caloric information of chicken dhansak:
Serving Size 221.7g
- Calories ————————369
- Saturated Fat ——————1.8g———————–9%
- Total Fat ———————–6.4g———————–10%
- Cholesterol ——————–146mg——————–49%
- Sodium ————————144mg———————6%
- Total Carbohydrates ———15.9g———————-5%
- Dietary Fiber ——————6.2g———————–25%
- Sugars ————————–3.9g
- Protein ————————-58.7g
- Vitamin A ————————–6%
- Iron ———————————21%
- Calcium —————————-4%
- Vitamin C ————————-10%